Post your training advice!

Post any piece of training advice you have here.

Mine is for arms.
The bicep is mainly used in the top of the curl, the bottom is mainly worked by a different muscle in the forearm, seated barbell curls are a good way of isolating this muscle.

Also the bicep pulls the arm forward slightly as another function, so at the end of the rep move your elbow forward a bit.

My biggest training advice… Quit spending all this time worrying about all these supplements…This gives you a .0005 % better mood feeling…This shows this on paper, I read this…Just stop already!

Train hard, eat , sleep, repeat!

It’s not difficult man. If I was a newbie to this site, I would be so confused after reading a lot of this on here.

3 Likes

You’re on a site about supplements. That’s why we talk about supplements. You gripe about it and make jabs about it all the time, but discussion of supplements is why this site exists. Other sites exist for other discussions if you don’t like this one.

4 Likes

Anyway, as for advice: whole lot of programs out there promising size, swearing by certain rep ranges, etc.

Size comes with time and consistency, not specifically with the magic 20-16-12-8-8 drop sets.

1 Like

This. Personally, I think a lot of lifters could benefit by switching from the magical “8-12 hypertrophy rep range” to lower reps and higher weight for compound lifts.

1 Like

Tfw you go all out with a heavy weight and only get 7 reps before failure so the whole set was completely meaningless :cry:

sad reacts only

1 Like

my favorite bit of gym advice came from Dillinger Escape Plan vocalist Greg Puciato (you can google him if you want to see why you’d want his advice), which was something to the effect of:

“I do heavy, compound lifts. I go to the gym, I kick my ass, and I eat a lot. That’s it.”

I love supplements as much as the next guy but I see a lot overthinking about them on here. No need to worry about such minor details. More focus should be on the diet and training than supplementation. I have been in this iron game for many years and have seen lots of supplement fads come and go and I try and help the newer people who are getting into training. I tell them what works, what doesn’t, proper dosages, timing, etc when it comes to supplements. I do this to save them time and most importantly money.
But before I even mention supplements, first thing I ask is how their diet is. 2nd is training.

I agree with this. I also have always said, all rep ranges have their merit. Compound movements have much more bang for the buck than all these isolation machine exercises. Not only do they work more muscle in one movement, they increase hormone production, increase androgen receptor sensitivity. Any good training program should be focused around these heavy, compound movements.

2 Likes

True as fuck tbh

I also find that actually doing exercises with the biceps supinated (either for the entire motion of from hammer to supinated during the reps) really helps work the biceps and the peaks especially. It’s logical enough; just supinate your hands while flexing your biceps and look at the bicep move (better peak and full contraction). Also, keep tension on the biceps during the reps; if you’re just swinging around heavy weights with no focus, you’re of course not doing it right (work the biceps, not the ego).

Worth noting though, that the long head of the biceps does cross the shoulder joint as well, so to fully contract the muscle there will be some shoulder flexion, it’s not just movement at the elbow joint

Yes, but again, supplements are what this website is about. It’s not the same thing as a website about lifting, where you discover that some members are way too invested in supplements. It’s the entire darn focus of the site.

You may as well go on a powerlifting forum and complain about how they’re talking too much about how to get a better arch in their bench, and arbitrarily pop into threads about optimal bench technique and go “LOL just get stronger and your bench will go up!!” Yeah, thanks, but we’re discussing nuance within a specific subject.

We all know that meat will do more for your gains than PeakO2, but we came here to talk about PeakO2, not meat. It’s why the site is here, and why we all joined it.

Edit: Anyway I’m done being off topic but this is like the 8th time you’ve done this and it’s a very condescending attitude and it’s been bothering me

3 Likes

Bro, I HEAR you 100%, just know that. But the guys (and possibly gals posing as guys, idk 2018) have a point. This is a site/forum specifically about supplements. Also, majority of the users here are a little more experienced. We aren’t sitting here saying we’re going to use a supplement and have a shitty workout, do a five minute walk on a treadmill at 5% incline and put on 10lbs of muscle…gotta give us a little more credit than that brotha

1 Like

After 30, warming up became mandatory.

I’m at the point now where even if I can only go for 45 minutes… it’s better to have 30 good minutes and 15 minutes of warmup than 40 shit minutes and 5 minutes of warmup.

3 Likes

I’m younger than that and I still really regret it if I don’t thoroughly warm up before legs; preferably with another body part first after a “normal” warm up (old back injury).

1 Like

Yeah, I find that warming up thoroughly is especially important with my squats. I see some people slap a plate on each side, do a couple sets, then jump straight to 315/405, and I really don’t get it, I’ve gotta make 50 pound jumps all the way up or my legs just don’t work right.

3 Likes

Yep. If I try going from 45 to 135 for front squats (without the 95 between), I’ll probably regret it. Same with going straight from 135 to 225 for front or back squats (185 is a good middle set). Definitely wouldn’t go straight from 225 to 315 either haha. I enjoy being able to walk properly the next day.

I warm up before every workout. I have a specific warm up that I follow and utilize it regardless of which body part I’m training. Also…if it is colder outside I will dress warmer to keep the body warm…I mean hell I’m not getting any younger.