Getting started with Keto

This was discussed a lot in the paleo community as it was taking off around 2008. There was a researcher decades ago who noticed that these primal tribes had awesome teeth, just as ours were all falling apart.

1 Like

Anyone else find alcohol less enjoyable on keto? Googling, I’m not seeing any articles/forums that discuss this. The buzz doesn’t seem to feel nearly as good to me as being out of ketosis. The good news is that I drink a lot less than before; so I guess I can’t complain too much :laughing:.

1 Like

Anyone interested in seeing the meal plan I’ve put together for me and my gf?

Full fledged meals and recipes with damn near exact macro ratios, on a budget (1400kcal for her, 1800 for me because apparently I’m trying to become a twink).

1 Like

Yessir! You and your lady prepping for something?

Lol, had to urbandict that one :laughing:

Update! Had my first cheat meal. Had a porterhouse with fries, followed by pecan pie and blueberry cheesecake cobbler. Strangely enough, my blood ketones are at 1.0 mmol/L this morning. However, I am very hungry this morning, too. (Edit, I guess it might be worth noting that I took 600 mg berberine and 500 mg banaba before the meal)

Fresh baked bread rolls

Porterhouse and fries

Pecan pie and blueberry cheesecake cobbler

1 Like

Image heavy post, beware. Macros below each day, if you have a question about a specific recipe or process, lemme know.

1 Like

Also, all the salt I’m using is a 2:1 blend of standard iodized table salt and potassium chloride.

Additionally, I’m mixing 2g potassium and 300mg magnesium into my gallon jug for the day every morning.

1 Like

Fat is way too satiating, its tough to scarf down a big breakfast :worried:

This is day…4? 5? Still no keto flu, headaches, anything of the sort. In fact, I’ve been so energetic that I’d swear I just seamlessly transitioned into ketosis on day 2.

Also made the world’s tastiest fat bombs. 5tbsp PB, 3 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, and 6 Splenda packets. Melt together, pour into something silicon, and refrigerate. Makes 10 servings, tastes just like a Reeses and has the nicest soft texture

1 Like

I never got the flu either. If you were already fat-burning adapted from a recent shred, or you have phenomenal insulin sensitivity, you will jump right into ketosis without issue.

Those bars sound good. I haven’t made any at this point just yet (I never seem to have room in my macros for fat bombs :cry:). I gotta make some and fit them in!

Watch out on them splenda packets, they have dextrose in them. You are better off just buying bulk without the additives. We use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLD3X28/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Yeah, I was gonna get the pure sucralose Splenda liquid drops for that reason, but the store was out, so I’m just resting easy in that you’d have to have like 10 packets per day to throw off my macros.

1 Like

@Iron-Mic-Titan check out this thread. It’s lengthy, but it covers my (and others’) venture in to keto…

1 Like

When I mentioned in here this was my first question. Macros and calories. So should I ditch meeting a certain number of calories?

I’m doing carnivor to get lean. I’m aiming at body fat more than weight really. I’m trying to keep my muscle and tone up.

When you first start, you should track your macros to gain an understanding of how much you eat versus satiety. Once you get the hang of it, you can pretty much stop tracking macros…might take a couple months though.

Ruled.me and ketogains both have popular calculators that can cater to your goals.

Could someone tell me if I’m eating the right amount of fat/protein? I’m still opporating in old knowledge like eat a gram of pro per pound of body weight.

These photos are from my last two days.

The breakfast day, I was just adjusting to eating a breakfast meal. I feel the protein amount came out since I had so much tuna in replacement of fatty fish( that I didn’t have time to cook). I tried to mayo/cocoanut oil and season the tuna to make up for the missing fat.

Usually on a 16/8 fast, I try to put more snacks in to hit meet 1860 calories, but since I started this low carb/keto/carnivor whatever this is- hahaha- I haven’t been so obsessed with food.

But In both days, I was pretty much fine with skipping meals or just closing the stomach shop down after lunch.

Generally it should be at least 60% fat, 40% protein for keto. Ideally closer to 75/25.

One way to look at it is to hit your protein target, then add fat to satiety. Every body is different in this realm. With keto and IF, your body is more protein-sparing, thus requiring less protein than a higher carb diet.

Did you try those calculators I posted earlier? Again, everyone is different, and I found that their protein recommendations were too high for me, especially with IF.

Ahh. I have to check them again. Generally speaking, I’m more 0- low carb than keto focused. I read with that diet( typically known as carnivor) you can be liberal with fat to protein intake, just make sure fat is high and carbs are super low. Any truth to this?

Yes, carnivore is a type of ketogenic diet. But a good place to start is 70% of your calories should be fat. See how that works for you and go from there. OR figure out how much protein you want/need, then add on fat to hit your calorie target.

Any of you guys doing OMAD with keto?