COVID-19 Check In

What about this options trading thing? Is it hard? How much investment do you need to make some realistic money?

1 Like

i’m 50% listening to my investment friend and 50% on my own intuition.

It’s lower barrier to entry than normal stock trading. You’re basically betting on what direction a stock will go, instead of buying the stock.

For instance, with all the remote work happening, this morning I bought a call on ZM, which means that I’m betting Zoom (a video conference company) will increase this week in value. It shot up pretty quickly after opening and I made around ~3x the investment

I also have lost a bunch of times too lol

1 Like

I’m a nerd for this stuff. My advise is don’t trade individual stocks unless you really know what you’re doing.

Maximize your IRA first, followed by your 401k. You get the most bang for your buck on those due to the tax breaks. That’s probably $25k, focus on other trading options after you max contribute to those… my opinion.

3 Likes

This is the responsible move

I got into this as more of a gambling entertaining type hobby. Keeps me entertained between priceplow videos

2 Likes

When I worked at Intel, I used to do option trading of Intel stock all the time. Didn’t place big bets, made a small amount of money, but it was a lot of fun. Sucks at tax time if you do a lot though

For sure. If you’re a master in one industry, then absolutely play high stakes trading in that segment, so long as we are aware of the risk involved.

I know tech, so I can dabble there. I don’t know much of anything else, so I won’t touch oil, energy, etc…

That’s why I just prefer to take the safe approach and get an average of 8-9% return every year via mutual funds, through my employer 401k. If they match, then there is no reason NOT to do it. Free money.

Who knew we had so many Bobby Axelrod’s on this Board.

2 Likes

Not quite. Lol. I’m just a concerned citizen who understands there will be zero social security left for me when I retire. Haha.

2 Likes

If my gym shuts down, I will not be happy. Not ready for pushups and jumping jacks for 4+ weeks…

3 Likes

My retirement plan is cash balance where the guys before us, that are of age now, had pension. This feels like a good time to at least start dabbling in the market. I can imagine it can only go up if you dip your toe in now.

Plus I’m a year out from looking at being a first time home buyer.

Time to buy is now.

3 Likes

Get your resistance band on bro…started that life this morning. Considering buying a pull-up dip station but have yet to find one I like at a reasonable price

2 Likes

There are some safer stock options in the market right now imo. For example both Disney and Mc Donald’s are trading very low. You can easily make at least 30% off those

1 Like

I got the pull-up door kit. Because gym equipment is scarce right now, reasonable price will literally mean cheap and cheaply made. I had to pay $130 for a pair of good kettlebells knowing I could’ve found a lesser set for 40 bucks less and have to risk infection going to pick it up.

1 Like

I got mine at Walmart. It was like $25 and worth it.

I’ve found weighted carries to be a great addition to my at home training. Front rack position and overhead with kettlebells gets those muscles burning.

I think he meant one of those tall “tower” types you see in commercial gyms where you can do actual dips, not just “floor dips” with your arms behind you like the doorway pull-up bars say you can.

My bad if I’m misunderstanding one or both of you haha.

I have had success with a doorway pull-up bar though, although a way to do actual dips (weighted dips especially!) would be awesome.

I’ve thought about ways to install dip bars (weighted dips are my favorite chest exercise).

I keep coming back to the idea of, I ultimately have to drill something into the ground or wall…and I don’t want to ruin my house or garage. Haha.

You can order parallelette bars for dips and push-up variations. Channel your inner martial arts B movie montage.

1 Like

no you are right, the Power Towers or whatever they are called. Found a great one on Amazon, but of course delivery June 26…dang! lol Oh well, I do have a bench so can always do bench dips!