Keto Diet Mainstream

@Mike what do you think about this

2 Likes

Not the first to the market being sold as a ketosis tester, but this one is moderately cheaper ($150) than Ketonics ($189). But ultimately it’s just a breath acetone tester, which is basically the same as a BAC used for alcohol,but with a different scale. You could buy a BAC tester at a drug store or Amazon for a fraction of the cost. They just use different scales from the “keto” versions.

As for the different methods for testing ketones: urine, blood, breath…
Urine is accepted as an unreliable method for measuring ketones, as folks tend to not register as they are more adapted to metabolizing ketones
Blood is still the most accepted method. But breath has been making headway. There is some discussion on the value of measuring both, as folks theorize that blood might measure your ability to generate ketones, and breath might measure how much you are metabolizing. It seems that there is no consensus at this time.

However, breath ketone measurement is nice if you don’t want to do the finger prick, and you don’t have to keep buying strips at $1 per test. It’s just that high up-front cost for the device.

1 Like

Agreed, the $99 price tag and breath option makes it a more mainstream product.

The product will be “more mainstream” to those doing keto, and seems worth testing against.

The proper keto diet, I do not believe, will be mainstream. It’s just too fucken high in fat to take seriously.

I do see “LCHF” becoming more mainstream, but getting 1.0+ ketones on a consistent basis is just too whack.

If anything, I see a functioning product like this to be more discouraging than anything. When people realize they legit need to do 3:1 or 4:1 ratio keto, they might be like “fuck this I’m not putting mayonnaise on everything” haha

1 Like

I’m in the camp that prior to grain domesticating us, we were in ketosis the vast majority of the time. Today, folks are now going their whole lives not living on the fuel that they evolved to burn. This camp is growing, and I’m confident more studies will increasingly reveal more long-term benefits of ketones in the blood…and, more importantly, reveal the reduction in diseases due to ketosis. Just an opinion though, lol.

I agree that keto does have challenges in order to become mainstream…

Keto does have that stigma of ultra-high fat. For many folks without genetic or lifestyle-induced insulin or glucagon resistance, their diet does not necessarily need to be super high fat. All they need to do is watch the carbs. The protein-fat ratio can be all over the map. I’m probably 1:1 fat-protein (by mass) right now. I don’t dump mayo on everything…unless I want to (e.g. broccoli)

Another stigma is that keto is binary, you are either always on it, or you aren’t. The question is, “do we need to be in ketosis all the time to benefit from ketones?”. Yes and no (I think, at least). First starting out, after a lifetime of being in SAD (standard American diet), yes, you need to bite the bullet and get your body fat-burning adapted. And that doesn’t mean just registering your first ketones, it means sustaining for a long time (a couple months? a few years? and everyone would be different).
In the long term, no, our ancestors would eat the fruits of the season (note…these are non-refined foods…a cup of mixed berries is only 11g sugars). Depending on their bounty, they were certain to be out of ketosis, but they would get right back to it. I heard there is some preliminary data indicating that even being in ketosis for part of a day (IF FTW!) can still achieve major benefits of ketones.

Sorry, just listened to an interview with Dr. David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain this morning, which is where some of this is coming from :laughing:

1 Like

Great comment. I agree with much of what you say.

So the way the Charlie Foundation does it is to combine protein and carbs together, but go by weight. So a 3:1 keto diet is 3g fat for every 1g [protein+carb]. This yields 87% calories from fat, an absurd amount.

I strive for 2:1 and it works, but not if protein is super high. So if I want higher protein I need to tinker with GDAs or an unreal amount of fat.

Whoa mayo on broccoli?! How’s the broccoli cooked? We roast it in the oven all the time, the kid LOVES it. May need to try this…

Considering our ancestors, I think it was more cyclical. You slaughter a buffalo, let’s say. Guess what – you’re FEASTING on protein for a week. Then maybe another week of “starvation” (keto). We’re adapted for this.

So I can already tell where I’m going to head with this… into a cyclical mode.

But I can’t do shit unless I track meticulously. Hence the thread I’m about to create!!

1 Like

@Mike in that case, wouldn’t a 5:2 fast be more in line with our ancestral eating habits

1 Like

Yes definitely. There’s a new pilot study I wanted to discuss on it. 5-2-diet-obesity-conley2017.pdf (254.8 KB)

And eventually try!

1 Like

Very interesting, looks like it’s most effective the first three months before the body gets adapted. Maybe something to do twice per year. Have read any studies with this done with a younger group or athletes?

1 Like

I love grilled/roasted broccoli, but the wife doesn’t like the stronger flavor. She just steams them, then we mush in some mayo and a little salt…mmmmmmm! (Same goes for cauliflower)

Yes, agreed! After I get off my trainer’s workout regimen beginning next year, I want to experiment with 3 day fasts…mostly to see if I exhibit any benefits (come on blood pressure!). I don’t plan to do it more than once per quarter, since I really don’t want to lose any weight.

This is exciting shit, man. Looking forward to your updates. Just saw you posted your fasting video on the youtubes, too.