Expired meat questions

So I have this, it’s expired( March 10th) but was frozen. I was defrosting it in the fridge and it got pretty soft, but then I noticed the date and through I back in the freezer. Anyone know if the freezer to fridge back to freezer transition is safe or should I hav exist cooked it and ate it?

If it’s still good I’ll defrost and eat it today.

I wouldn’t mess with it if you thawed it out and then refroze it. Not worth $3 to risk getting sick. Just buy new. 2 things I don’t mess with when it comes to expiration dates… meat and dairy.

You are never supposed to refreeze any meat that has been thawed…that’s what I’ve always been told.

Well, you did mention in another thread that you want to lose weight. Salmonella would be quite the angle of attack for weight loss.:laughing:

4 Likes

i don’t mess with chicken, if it’s in question, i toss it.

Thanks for the timely feed back

“ Answer: It’s fine to refreeze the chicken breasts — as long as you thawed them in the refrigerator and kept them there for no more than two days. If that was the case, you can pop the chicken breasts back into the freezer and they’ll still be safe to eat, says the United States Department of Agriculture.”

Googled it… idk. The chicken was still frozen in some area, and it was in the fridge. It wasn’t like it was room temp. But I’ll try to be wise about this.

If it stinks throw it out

2 Likes

I realized it’s pointless really. My wife got me that before I started low carb high fat- it has zero fat so it’s not worth risking getting sick.

Even though it sounds like you already made your decision, cooking the meat to the proper temperature is the most important thing to be concerned with IMO.

I would tend to agree with Devin_Foley. The main thing is to cook it thoroughly. The refreezing thing could cause taste, consistency, or flavor issues. But as long as it’s cooked properly you probably won’t have any issues. However, that’s my opinion and my disclaimer says eat at your own risk. But then again, I’ve been know to use pre workouts and protein that are a year past date, LMFAO…

1 Like

At this point I’d order out

1 Like

Generally not recommended, thawed, frozen again and thawed meat is bad practice. But if you have frozen once and then thawed and cooked - all is well. Shelf life is the shelf life when stored in the refrigerator, not in the freezer.

1 Like

I don’t think expired chicken is good for your health, I know it’s frozen but it’s expired.

I’m guessing that after 3 years that chicken isn’t good anymore…

1 Like

Another chicken likely grew out of that expired meat by now

2 Likes