8x8 Workout - The Honest Workout

Another tried and true routine created by Vince Gironda is the ol’ 8x8 routine - The Honest Workout. This is great program to get you shredded and improve your conditioning. The routine is exactly how it’s titled… 8 sets of 8 reps of an exercise. The key to this program is the rest periods. You want to get down to at least 30 seconds between sets with the goal of getting to 10-20 seconds of rest between sets. The workouts will take around 45-60 minutes to complete.
You should pick a weight that is around 60-70% of your 1 rep max. If you can do all 8 sets of 8 reps, you need to increase the weight. If you get around 6-7 sets of 8 reps, stick with that weight until you get 8 of 8. A good training frequency is 2 days on 1 day off with this program. Below is the breakdown of the routine that I have used. For example… Monday - Day 1, Tuesday - Day 2, Wednesday - Rest, Thursday - Day 3, Friday - Day 1. This repeats itself.

Day 1 - Chest/Back

Flat DB Bench Press - 8 x 8
Incline Bench Press - 8 x 8
Flat or Incline Flyes - 8 x 8
BB Rows - 8 x 8
Lat Pulldowns - 8 x 8
Hammer Strength Rows - 8 x 8

Day 2 - Legs/Calves

Squats - 8 x 8
Leg Press - 8 x 8
Leg Extensions - 8 x 8
Stiff - Leg Deadlifts - 8 x 8
Leg Curls - 8 x 8
Calf Raises - 10 x 10

Day 3 - Shoulders / Arms

Military Press - 8 x 8
Lateral Raises - 8 x 8
Shrugs - 8 x 8
BB Curls - 8 x 8
DB Curls - 8 x 8
Close Grip Bench - 8 x 8
Pushdowns - 8 x 8

3 Likes

hey i thought everything was 8x8 … calf raises 10x10… haha jk.
Thanks for posting. I’ll consider trying this. Looks intense

2 Likes

i love all of vince’s training methods. 8x8 is great when youre in a time crunch or want to add an element of fat burning to your lifting. i always end up feeling and looking much fuller after a few 8x8 sessions!

1 Like

Yes, I liked the speed of how quickly I was getting my workouts in.

10/10 would clang and bang. So this is to get lean? I’m 175 and trying to go to at least 190. Most 205… would this help or hurt that goal?

1 Like

Yes. This routine works well in a fat loss program or a diet geared towards fat loss. Due to the volume and low rest periods. For lean bulking, I would opt for a different routine.

2 Likes

What would you suggest for lean bulking ?

1 Like

Personally, I like a PHAT style of routine. Its where I have heavy and light days for all muscle groups. Each muscle gets hit at least twice a week.

3 Likes

you wouldn’t happen to have a link to a good PHAT routine, would you? There’s TONS of them online and many are behind a paywall.

I’m on a recomp right now, eating a little more but looking for something that will help with cardiovascular conditioning/leaning out while I train. I’m currently on a powerlifting routine which is nice but not where my physique goals are right now.

EDIT: Okay, just found the OG. It’s all rows. Holy shit. Bent rows, pendlay rows, upright rows, cable rows. I hate rows. No barbell bench, no shoulder press, no conventional deadlift, just rows, rows, and more rowd. I’m not doing all those goddamn rows.

“Fuck Barbell Rows. Fuck them.” - Mark Rippetoe

2 Likes