Why EAAs are the New BCAAs: Essential Amino Acids Stage a Coup

So from everything I read about Humapro…it sounds like they are positioning this the same way as Dr. Serrano does. He, Dr. Serrano, in particular, talks about how too much protein can lead to allergies and thus only recommends 1-2 shakes per week. With emphasis of course on utilizing BCAA/EAA’s pre and post as well as in-between meals.

1 Like

I remember that. He reiterated that point in the muscle expert podcast from a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been using whey regularly for 7+ years.

Wonder what changes would happen if I stopped…

2 Likes

i love HumaPro, love!

2 Likes

Talk to me DougE…how are you using it? As a replacement for Whey? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes

i replied to your DM…

1 Like

The same can be said of damn near any food. Does he also recommend not eating? Sounds rather silly to me. Why use a sub-optimal strategy “just in case”?

I’ll bet you aren’t the only one. If allergies were that much of a concern, I think we’d know it by now considering how many thousands (millions?) of people drink protein shakes daily.

If you’re really that concerned, take some digestive aids (enzymes, probiotics, etc.). There’s plenty of evidence showing protein is utilized more efficiently by humans vs. aminos. Not to mention the benefits one can get outside of just the aminos. For example, some peptides in whey can help with blood sugar control, glutathione production, and the immune system. Sure, there’s nothing wrong with taking EAAs, but I’d hardly call them a replacement for protein.

2 Likes

Makes sense of course…and he does sell a BCAA supplement so there’s that…Interesting concept though.

Completely agree. I take digestive enzymes just to be safe and keep things from fermenting in the gut long term. I know the case for BCAAs is to spike MPS… so the concept of using EAAs as a more complete recovery tactic sounds interesting - plus I prefer drinking something with taste verse plain water (I’m not concerned with spiking MPS via supplements since I eat quality protein every 4hrs)

You’re right - I’d hope we notice some side effects after all these years! : )

1 Like

Protein and EAAs have their own times and places, I think it would be a mistake to confuse the two.

1 Like

If you do a search of Dr. Serrano Elite Fitness on YouTube you’ll see Dr. Serrano’s take on Protein Powder vs. AA’s…interesting stuff.

Here is the link to Part I - Sorry can’t remember which segment he discusses it.

I did not like that presentation. I’m finding it kinda hard to take him seriously. I don’t understand why he had to start with so many personal attacks against those people. Like talking about how those guys don’t look good? What’s the point? I don’t buy into a lot of what he says either. He overgeneralized a lot of things like saying 90% of people get bloated from protein shakes. I haven’t taken a survey, but I’d say he probably has that number backward. I worked at GNC for years and I’ve talked to a lot of people who have taken protein shakes. And all that about rotating diets every two weeks sounds like a bunch of crap. I mean, obviously if you’re trying to lose weight and you eat the exact same thing every day, yes, you’ll stop losing weight. You’ll need to reduce your intake over time as the weight comes off. That doesn’t mean your diet isn’t working. And he says the body doesn’t want to be fat. I’m sorry, but why then is it so easy to add fat? The body is built for survival, and having extra body fat is good for survival, in case you ever run out of food, you have extra energy stores. He sounds pretty gimmicky overall.

1 Like

Personally I like him. I think he’s hilarious, and his criticism of the room is part of his sense of humor. I do know that he has worked with several professional athletes and was on the Advisory Board for MusclePharm, and Granite I believe.

I just find it interesting. Taking everything you hear or read with a grain of salt and applying it to what best fits you of course.

EAA’s would be best utilized for fasted intense training or immediately post workout so I agree with you.

Unfortunately I think it’s less about % of people who get bloated and more about % of shakes that contain high levels of dairy, filler, and crap. This is (in my opinion) the disconnect between experts who read data, and the manufacturers who are concerned about the end profit.

1 Like

Now that is an excellent excellent point.

We see these generalizations all the time. It’s just due to lack of understanding.

I’d bet with a clean isolate like ours or even a WPC80, you’d see under 10% of people bloating.

1 Like

I have some LI issues that pop up from time to time but your classic whey has never given me those issues

Wait! NutraBio has a protein powder? (typed sarcastically)

Personally the issue for me has been this. I don’t have GI issues at all…I really don’t…But I don’t eat enough either (I’m 6-3 200). So I will opt for a more ‘filling’ shake but that could lead to a ‘bloated feeling’. I prefer WPI post workout if I’ve eaten in advance. Cleaner and I feel better.

The overall concept of substituting EAA’s for Whey is interesting to me. But does also mean that I (enough about you we are talking about me) would need to eat more because an EAA post will not fill me up…Which I believe is the point…

Why not make a filling shake with a base of a clean protein? I’d take a clean whey with PB, oats, fruit, etc over the same macros coming from dairy creamer, dextrose, etc

2 Likes

I love mixing my whey protein with my oatmeal. Breakfast of champions…