Optimum Nutrition Pro Pre - Thoughts?

Betaine has several acute plasma nutrient impacts.

It’s a methyl donor, and facilitates phospholipid synthesis, both of these are of workout specific interest

1 Like

Good point. I knew about the methyl donor abilities, but wondered if that was more an acute effect or sustained with daily use of betaine.

Pretty good formula. I like the Citrulline dose.

1 Like

It’s sustained, but the higher cMAX within the acute dosing period can be of value during a workout in impacting homocysteine clearance.

The contribution to phospholipid metabolism is of particular interest to me though.

not too familiar with the inner workings of phospholipid synthesis…how does this impact performance?

LOL never thought of that!!! OH man. I’m sure they’ve seen enough C4 at this point though, so many millions of tubs have been sold over time.

I was also confused by the “take on a plane” comment at first. It’s pretty funny now though!

As for the formula, I find it interesting that they included such a large dose of Citrulline with nothing else to support pumps.

2 Likes

That might not be 6g of pure Citrulline. The “other ingredients” contains Malic Acid, which could be in there due to it being Citrulline Mallate. Many companies seemed to have stopped labeling product as Citrulline Mallate, labeling it as just L-Citrulline, and moving the malic acid to other ingredients. Which means you don’t know how much malic acid you’re getting since the ratio isn’t disclosed. If they use a 1:1 material, which is cheapest, you could be getting 6 grams of malic acid.

1 Like

ON’s best attempt yet.

1 Like

Okay, then that’s still 12 grams of 1:1 cit-malate, which is more than anyone else has ever done, so I’m not seeing the issue

1 Like

Adding up the active ingredients, we get roughly 13.3 grams (I rounded a little), out of an 18 gram scoop, leaving us around 4.7 grams of vitamins/minerals and “other ingredients”. Regardless, Citrulline malate is just Citrulline and malic acid thrown in a tub together, so the difference in labeling is insignificant. Regardless, there’s 6 grams of Citrulline, not sure what the issue is.

I don’t think you’re understanding how this works. even if you have 12g of citrulline malate (mixed, not bonded), that’s still 6 grams of pure citrulline with 6g of malic acid.

Malic acid is also used for flavoring so not really sure what your point is. Have to actually give them props for not claiming it’s citrulline malate when it isn’t bonded.

1 Like

Don’t have an issue with the formula, it is a solid formula. It was a caveat to how the article was written not a comment on the formula.

Ah, alrighty, my misunderstanding.

Interesting take from Brent at Suppz on the Facebook thread… he’s super skeptical:

Huh that seems rather harsh, the previous two were bad but this one is decent. Though at its current price it has some really tough competition and isn’t really bringing its A game, I have no clue what the over head is on the formula but it just needs more stuff if it wants to go for the “over a 1.50” market.

Unless you are bringing a fancy new stimulant or over 20 grams of actives stay under 1.50$ a scoop.

I am not in the habit of defending competitors but this product, as labeled, MUST contain 6G of free form L-citrulline/serving according to 21 CFR Part 101 labeling regs - there is no alternative option.

It does not matter if they are using citrulline or citrulline malate; the panel claims 6G of citrulline. If the product contained citrulline malate 1:1; the total dose of CM would have to be 12G, 6 of citrulline and 6 of malic acid. This is not possible since after calculating the known dosages in the formula you get a total of 13.9G, which would leave only 4.1G for the unknown 9 ingredient doses in “Other Ingredients.”

The malic acid listed in the “Other Ingredients” is not related to the citrulline listed in the panel. The malic acid is added along with citric acid in common practice as a flavor enhancer to add sourness to the product.

Want to know the formula, here is my approximation: ( Listed dosages 13.38G) + (Vit/min calculated by standards 0.5G)=13.88. There are 2G of carbs which can only come from the N&A flavor, probably maltodextrin being used as the carrier. Total flavor (malto+flavor) approx. 2.3G. This leaves 1.8G unaccounted for. The (calcium silicate silicon diox, tartaric acid, sucralose, dye, and lecithin account for approximately 500mg; leaving 1.3 for the Citric and malic acid, which would probably be about 900mg citric and 400mg malic.

Obviously, I am using best practice based on experience to approximate some of this, however; what is definite is that the product must contain 6G of L-Citrulline according to labeling requirements and cannot contain citrulline malate based on the math.

6 Likes

You’re a really impressive guy, Mr. Glazier.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Although, let’s be honest, I expect nothing less from you!

Now sure why anyone would think ON would place 6g of Citrulline on a label and not be accurate.