New Log - XGels

Nothing obvious yet

What brand and dose?

Molecular Nutrition X Factor. 10 caps, dosed with 3-4 grams of ALCAR as I recall, and I believe a scoop (3grams maybe?) of analyzed nutrition micronized GMS.

Typical results with ARA include increases in lean muscle, strength, and pumps. For example, if my diet is right and I’m training correctly, I will see steady results. If I am not seeing any results, I need to examine my diet and training. Supplements may help me make better progress than I would be making otherwise but if I’m not making any, the issue wouldn’t be the supplement, it would be my diet and training.

After training shoulders and back, some serious posterior dealt DOMS. Absolutely killer chest today and had some new chest veins so that was quite nice. Will see if any soreness there tomorrow. Overall, it seems the DOMS gets progressively more pronounced, but it really is not that bad at all

1 Like

Probably still building up. Should level off at some point. I like the feeling though!

1 Like

Honestly same. I haven’t felt some nice muscle soreness in months and frankly it’s quite enjoyable

1 Like

Alright bigger update here.

X-Gels are running great at the moment. I have definitely noticed a slight increase in size in my arms, as well as my lateral deltoids. A lot of the rotator cuff issues I have been having are seeming to disappear on this product, interestingly enough. I was originally interested in ARA, as I hoped the inflammation would help heal those trouble areas up. Maybe placebo effect, maybe not, but anecdotally it’s been better thus far.

For training, I have not had any insane gains in strength, but we are only around half way in. I have my 1RM’s from before the cycle, and will be testing them again after trying these. It does feel like I’m putting up higher numbers for some certain cable exercises for back though. Currently on vacation in California, but still getting good lifts in

1 Like

Rocking some great workouts out here on vacation. Great arm day too, where I definitely had some increased vascularity in forearms. Was able to rock a full stack on cable hammer curls w/ rope, which is a first. Maybe some strength gains there. Feeling great atm

1 Like

Oh boy, we have a nice update here. Most intense soreness I’ve had for the entirety of this log thus far. My chest and back are absolutely dead at the moment. I absolutely love the nasty pumps ARA is giving me though. Almost 2/3 of the way done with the whole cycle

1 Like

You dosing 1.5 grms daily now?

Yessir

So whats the idea of ARA, I know that it does cause serious DOMS, as noted recently in your log. Does this give increased strength and mass? This is one ingredient I have heard about time to time just never grasped its actual effect. Enjoying your log, keep up the great work.

ARA increases inflammatory factors. So the gist is, when you work out, you damage muscles. When the muscles are damaged, they signal repair. Your body repairs, you grow bigger and stronger. ARA will increase the signal your muscles put out saying they’re damaged.

3 Likes

Ohhhhh gotcha! Thanks for the explanation, so ARA seems like some interesting stuff then. Nice!

1 Like

Thank you @Jeremy

No problem! And yes it is definitely interesting. I like the idea, there’s some human research behind it, and it seems to work great for lots of folks. Personally, I didn’t really notice a difference using it. I’m kinda mad I’m a non-responder, it sounds so fun for others! :joy:

No problem!

I’m not at all knowledgeable about ARA but based on this information, it seems like it would be a super recovery supplement. Increased signals for repair, thus more nutrients going to those muscles and I would think faster repair and recovery.

With that in mind, I would have thought DOMS would be eliminated because the muscles are receiving increased nutrients and in theory should be repairing and recovering more efficiently (ie: being healed before the delayed muscle soreness would present itself).

Yeah I waaaaay oversimplified it. ARA is a precursor to prostaglandins and interleukins, which are actually proinflammatory. A lot of NSAIDs actually work by decreasing COX-2, which is an enzyme that helps convert ARA to prostaglandins. The decreased inflammation will lead to decreased pain. This is also why a lot of them have negative long term effects on tendons. Even though you relieve pain, you also decrease healing. Anyway, the simplest way of looking at it would be to think about muscle damage being your signal for growth. When I say increasing the signal, you’re essentially increasing the damage to your muscle tissue, in theory.

Not sure if they’re still included, but I know early on, X-Factor had an extensive warning label due to possible complications from increased inflammation. They strongly recommended against people with asthma using it, for example. I know this is kind of a worrisome product for some people, but realistically, there probably isn’t too much risk. I guess there’s actually data out now showing that supplementing ARA can actually decrease whole body inflammation. I’d have to dig that back up to try and get details on that though.

2 Likes

Per Jiggz post:

Arachidonic acid, or Ara for short, is an Omega 6 fatty acid found in the phospholipids of a body’s cells (Human + Animal). Arachidonic Acid allows for the production of eicosanoids which are signalling molecules that exert control over inflammatory and immunity pathways. The greater the amount of Arachidonic Acid in the body, the more eicosanoids are produced and the greater the inflammation.
It is through these Eicosanoids that the majority of benefits seen with Arachidonic acid and its effect on body composition are noticed and the reason why anti-inflammatories (which downregulate eicosanoid synthesis) are typically avoided around consumption of Arachidonic Acid.

There are multiple subgroupings of Eicosanoids which are:

-Prostagladins
-Thromboxanes
-Lipoxins
-Leukotrienes

An an increase in production of eicosanoids will lead to an increase in the above. We however, are only seeking an increase in the prostaglandins and desire to limit the conversion of Ara into the other three (more on this later).
An increase in the prostaglandins PGE2 and PGF2a bought upon by Arachidonic Acid supplementation stimulates muscle protein synthesis after a bout of exercise.

In essence, via a lot of complicated pathways, Arachidonic Acid → Exercise → PGF2a + PGE2 = GAINZZZ

3 Likes