Let's talk about cholesterol

Not really. I haven’t spent much time there, I think I mentioned before. I’m only 25 so heart health hasn’t been much of an issue for me. You just hadn’t mentioned anything from there, so I was just checking. It’s certainly an interesting site, and one of the posts I did read, he overly simplified the background and mechanisms of cholesterol. It was pretty helpful for me. I also looked through the comments on the posts because there is often some very interesting discussions.

21 myself, but I am studying medicine and have taken care of people who have had strokes/heart attacks(CNA), plus heart health has a few performance benefits.

I’ll have to read through it more, but so far I haven’t seem any claims that are majorly out there, never the less I am somewhat skeptical of any website like this given the amount of quacks in the keto/cholesterol industry/circle, IE Mercola/bulletproof.

What I like about him, is he’s kind of dug into the research as to what cholesterol is, does, and is made of and stuff. He looks at all the aspects and functions. But beyond that, based on his research and a lot of theories he’s developed, he does experiments on himself with actual blood tests to see the effects. Obviously one persons blood tests aren’t gonna overturn the rest of science, but it’s cool to see actual blood tests and everything. And it can certainly be a small amount of support for his ideas. Anyway, it’s definitely worth reading, in my opinion.

Thought some might be interested in this. Stumbled across it a little bit ago.

2 Likes

Just spotted this on Twitter, if you’re reading about statins:

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/bjsports/early/2018/01/16/bjsports-2017-098497.full.pdf?ijkey=Rsap0XafljfcOCR&keytype=ref

I’ve long found statins a little scary. Heard some reports of muscle weakness. That’s like my biggest fear! :joy:

1 Like

Again, cholesterol is determined mostly by genetics. Sorry @Christianmelon but I will believe my doctor over anyone here. :slight_smile:

@Brawn
If someone has high cholesterol what would you suggest they do to lower it? Or are you saying a statin is the only option due to it being mostly genetic?

The problem you can run into with doctors is, if you read the thing Mike just posted, doctors are often misinformed. Not that doctors don’t know what they’re talking about, but they’ve all been told for years that everyone needs statins, for example. Doctors are prescribing statins in situations where it isn’t even warranted because of the push from pharmaceutical companies.

I can understand that to a degree. But my doctor was telling me that cholesterol is determined by genetics. A person is predisposition to either have high or low cholesterol. It’s in the genes!

I NEVER said a statin was the only way to treat it. I was telling you that you are wrong. It’s not diet that is the main contributor of high cholesterol, its your genetics that are.

Ok then could you link some evidence proving me wrong? Any sort of evidence? I’ve asked you half a dozen times at this point and you haven’t given me anything yet you keep making wild assertions while refusing to back any of it up.

And no what your “doctor said” does not count, I am not going to make health decisions based off of what some random forum user said their doctor told them.

Just google it. You will find your studies showing genetics is the main factor. I guess we will agree to disagree on this. I won’t change my mind. I know from personal experience since I have had very poor diets and eaten unhealthy for many years.I have seen studies and my doctor tells me and I believe her over any forum user. I am done arguing about it.

Not saying your doctor is wrong, but one other thing to keep in mind when talking to doctors is that according to the medical orthodoxy, only drugs can have a physiological effect. Doctors discount the role of diet in diseases because, according them, diet can’t have a physiological effect. There’s mounting evidence now that both cancer and Alzheimer’s disease are both predominantly metabolic disorders, yet they’re only treated as if they’re genetic.

Having said all that, I’m probably commenting way too much in a thread about cholesterol as I haven’t, thus far, researched it extensively. My dad called me about a week ago and apparently his doctor is complaining about his cholesterol level, so I’ll begin my extensive research now. I’ll be sure to report back!

My Portuguese mother cooks almost exclusively by frying in fat, and consumes a ton of cholesterol…has better cholesterol results than I do.

I’m on the genetics predisposition crew, however I don’t limit myself to thinking I’m stuck there, there are a lot of options to treat it

Excessive carbohydrates effect cholesterol more than dietary cholesterol intake. Dietary cholesterol intake is more of an issue with those who are genetically predisposed to cholesterol issues.

$$$$$$$

It’s become very tough to determine what’s needed vs. what’s just given. Pharma companies obviously love anything that you’re on forever, regardless of whether it’s statins, opiates, or HIV drugs.

Given that being ‘dependent’ or ‘addicted’ leads to more predictable and repeatable (ie profitable) sales, it’s inevitable that bad practices will eventually be pushed by someone out there. These types of drugs require way higher scrutiny and all data should be 100% open.

It’s almost impossible to not have some level of conspiracy somewhere here by at least one of these companies.

I don’t know what I’ll be like when I’m say 60, but at this point, I think I’d rather treat with testing diets and exercise than go on statins. In terms of healthy longevity, I still statins are a crapshoot for someone willing to try different diets and continue training.

1 Like

From one thing I read, this actually makes sense. As I recall, the test measures the cholesterol your body produces, so eating more could actually lower your production.

How much is excessive? What level of intake is it comparing? Are they comparing 0 mg intake to 200 mg, or are they adding 200 mg to an uncontrolled diet?

I agree, drugs that are treating symptoms rather then the underlying cause should be used in conjunction with actual treatments, physical therapy, dietary interventions, ect
There is value in the drugs but I disagree with the way they are being used.

Research carbohydrate induced hypertriglyceridemia. Single largest factor in the us in elevated triglyceride levels which obviously effect HDl/LDL. It’s not a set grams, more of excessive particularly refined in amounts that remove vital macros like protein and especially fats.