Anecdotal Collagen Use and Opinions

I’ve never lifted as much as it looks like you do, and I’m only in my mid-20s, but I’ve learned that heavy squatting and I don’t get along well long-term. Ever since I tore a ligament in my lower back wrestling in HS, going over 315 has not ended well over a period of months. It’s usually nothing major, just a really sore loser back for a few days, but every several months it was a setback that kept me stagnant long-term progress wise on the squat, and even effected other lifts at a point. I can do 225 all day, 20+ reps and it didn’t bother it, 275 is fine too, but any time I put 3 plates on, or more, I ended up with issues. The most I ever hit was 365 at 160-165, which isn’t all that great, but I’m probably never even going that heavy again. I have no need to. I don’t wrestle or play football anymore, I never powerlifted, and I don’t even bodybuild or compete in any physique stuff, so there’s absolutely no need for me to push it IMO.

Edit: but there’s no reason I can’t make gains with higher reps, slower reps, super sets, drop sets, pre-exhaustion, etc.

1 Like

I’d take alot of BBM BS calling with a grain of salt. Those guys like to call BS just to rustle jimmies.

1 Like

Completely agree - 100%.

i’ll get a package out to you this week.

I mostly agree, but they do provide a lot of science-backed information. It is annoying that they consider everything that isn’t backed by several RCT’s as “woo” or “nocebo”.

This is slightly more applicable to training, but just because something isn’t backed yet doesn’t mean it’s BS.

I also get regular deep tissue massage, dry needling, and chiro work. They would laugh at me, but my competition total laughs at theirs.

100%. There’s a fundamental difference between “not proven by research” and “disproven by research.” For a long time, Ayurveda and TCM were entirely unproven by modern research, but now things like Ashwagandha have TONS of research supporting their use and efficacy. On the other hand, research can show that some things just don’t work, like CEE.

2 Likes

Completely agree. My chiropractor is a wizard. I walk in and he can often immediately identify my reason for visit upon me walking into the office. He has done wonders for my wife and me. Yeah, he cracks my back and stuff, too (which I don’t see any benefit). but his PT, stretching, percussion, etc… he has helped greatly. Side note, blew my something-or-other on a deadlift Sunday, got an appt with him Weds to make everything right hopefully.

Had my first acupuncture appt the Saturday before last for an upper hip / lower back issue (visited family, saw my Dad’s acupuncturist who has apparently helped him with PTSD). He applied electrodes to the needles and it felt great. Then did cupping, also felt great. Not sure if it did anything. However the most amazing thing is this is the FIRST person to detect my leaky aorta valve via a stethoscope. I only recently discovered via echocardiogram that I have a bicuspid valve with leakage. Years and years of physicals, no one ever detected it.

Speaking of ayurveda, Carditone has been the only supplement, prescription or otherwise, to lower my blood pressure. I’ll take my n=1 :laughing:

@Matt_Towson sorry for the hijack :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get a few videos of your squat, and assess your form. If your knees are killing you it could be

• knees buckling, not spreading the floor properly
  • legs not in line when squatting (knees get out in front of your legs / over your toes)
  • Depth
  • Not sitting back properly causing weight to shift on to your knees.

Now it is hard to assume or make a valid point without seeing evidence of your lifting form to assess what could be the underlying issue. I can squat 315, 365, 405 for reps and my knee health is great, but I did have a lot of bad knee pain in the past with some minor tweaks in my form being the root issue.

Everyone is made different, maybe you had some knee injuries in the past causing the constant knee pain, so its hard to pinpoint at this moment.

It seems like you are taking all the correct steps supplement wise to help relieve the issue.
How often do you get ART work done? Do you do any stretching, proper warming up, rumble rolling, or any other forms of therapy to take care of your body?

Just thinking out loud here, but there may be more to the story then reading text on an online forum to diagnose the issue. Extrabeef would be the guy for this one as a premium powerlifter and putting 700+ Pounds on his back.

Agreed. Honestly, it could be one of the many things above. I’ll get to ART and better recovery one day soon, when I have more time.

In the interim, it’s just active recovery (my own version), proper nutrition, etc…

Form isn’t powerlifting form. For purposes of keeping my waist smaller, intentionally avoid movements where I have to “push” my core outward. You didnt ask that, but I avoid anything that may cause me to widen that area.

I’ve had my squat evaluated by several power lifters, Layne Norton, Mike O’Hearn, and others. Used to work with those guys. They helped me develop my form based on my biomechanics. I consider Mike a friend. Layne…not so much. Lol.

1 Like

I’m not a power lifter in any sense of the word, and don’t claim to be, but the only time when you’re squatting when you push your core outward is when wearing a belt. Other than that, it’s dangerous and a risk to push outward when doing that movement. Do you think you have any weakness in your core that may be causing breakdown in form?

Unless you understand proper bracing of the core which ever lifter should know how to do. That is a key aspect to keeping good form when progressive overload on your progress

Could be wrong on what he was implying

This is getting very sidetracked from the topic of Collagen.

Lmao. When does the initial post ever actually stay on track here? Haha