Soylent Subterfuge: When a Bad Joke Turns into a Business

ajb...just realize how ignorant you came off in your comment.

This comment paid for by the moron creator of this product.
Oh...Soylent will never be a competitor to anyone. It will never get bought by anyone. It is a joke.

Scary...it is like every single employee of this joke of a "company" was called to arms to astroturf the comments section.
Guys...your time would be much better spent getting your resume in order so we don't have to support you with food stamps longer than we already have.

All actual nutritional data aside, doesn't it seem like Soylent and PRISM and reality TV are kind of a disturbing trend? Its like there are people out who read or watch depictions of dystopian futures and think "I'm gonna go make the world more like that".

Another over priced meal replacement I see.

That's the third mention of yams I've clocked. It comes accross a little zealous, is there something about yams I'm missing?.

Just because this theme touches the very idea of eating. An act that the average human who reads blogs or similar repeats at least twice a day almost every day of his life.

Having come from the future, what everyone is failing to realize is that Rhinehart (or Sir Dr. Rhinehart, Esq III PhD, as we call him in 2313) is the inventor of the substance that will eventually (from your point of view) be used in every replicator, on every starship in Starfleet.

In 2178, The United Federation of Planets bestowed the honorary rank of Admiral on Rhinehart for his lifelong work in the fields of nutrition, space travel and distributed database systems. His pioneering work in the latter field was actually credited by Zefram Cochrane, who in 2063 invented warp drive which caught the attention of the Vulcans and forever changed the course of humanity.

This patriot, neigh hero, will forever be linked to the survival of humanity as it made that courageous and desperate leap from the shores of Earth into the sea of space. In fact, since that time of our first forays into the great unknown, at such time when a traveller becomes weary of replicated food and drink, and longs for the taste and satisfaction of a Pastrami on Rye with a real beer (synth ale is definitely no substitute for the real thing) it is said he has a Rhinehart-on for some real food.

Be weary young citizens of Earth, for you know not what you so despise.

So you're part of the problem, not part of the solution Mike? The reason for your aggressive tone is that you're hoping it aids your bottom line at the expense of another? They maybe a for profit endeavor, but the goal of providing complete nutrition at penny's a day should be applauded. Should we call you Perez Hilton of the nutrition world?

Penny's? It's $10/day. I can buy groceries and eat with better macros for WAY less than $10/day

Also, How does this article benefit the sites bottom line?

I was intentionally vague. "Vegetables" means everything and nothing all at once. You use what works for you. I'm a huge fan of spinach and kale. You might prefer radishes and romaine. That, and hundreds of other foods, falls within the definition.

I also prefer grass-fed beef and eggs from pastured chickens when I'm really "getting after it", but yes, they are expensive.

My point was nearly to counter-example the idea that "getting protein is too hard". Bulk cooking on Sundays is how successful non-pro athletes make it work.

Yams have been a game-changer for me. This is a personal thing, but I feel that they're vastly underrated.

Since adding them to my diet, per Marc Lobliner's advice, I've been able to add 15lbs of serious muscle without any nasty side effects that I'd get from grain-based carbs.

http://nutritiondata.self.c...

Because it's an incomplete food solution being MARKETED as a total food solution. That's dangerous, and we didn't want our normal readers to get involved.

Our readers (sports and supplement junkies) are also prone to get a bit too much into supplementation side instead of real food, so we try to keep that reminder fresh.

We obviously had no clue that the entire online tech incubator community would have latched onto this post... making for some interesting and unexpected discussion here.

We honestly thought our readers (being supplement geeks) would have added comments talking about how they'd improve this for their specific sports (ie powerlifting/bodybuilding/strongman/crossfit). Clearly we were wrong there!!

Well, we'd never market an incomplete food solution as anything but, nor would we recommend that to our users.

Even food supplements (like whey protein) are still just supplements, not diets. If someone wants to use this site to buy 100lbs of protein every month, by all means go for it (I'll try to find you a better deal and send you a free shaker cup and t-shirt too). But I'm not gonna ever suggest it, nor will I call it nutritionally sound. That's the difference. There's an ethical way to operate.

...Soylent doesn't cost pennies a day...

... and I have no clue what Perez Hilton does anymore.

@ lakawak, you are an idiot.

If people don't agree with the product then they shouldn't use it... I don't think anyone who is supporting this campaign believes that Soylent will completely replace food, it is simply an alternative for those interested in that type of thing. This product should not be a threat to anyone, so just keep eating your big macs and shut your mouth.

Another dimwit heard from.

Dumb statement.

You might want to discontinue the use of words like' "abysmal, crime, scandal, and fools" if you want people to believe that you are truly, "product-neutral". Currently, this is hack-journalism at best. It is very simple. If people don't agree with the product then they shouldn't use it...

@lakawak. You are an idiot. Soylent won't put McDonalds out of business, so don't worry your fat-ass about it.

It's interesting that someone who sells unproven supplements to earn a living is so emotionally compromised by an unproven supplement that aims at providing a healthy lifestyle. The fool who will hurt themselves and others is clearly you. I'm not going to pick apart your entire article as you have not bothered to really investigate this product. I do want to point out, however, your fear tactic about what soylent is missing. You failed to point out anything that was missing. Yes, the benefits of omega-3 was discovered 30 years ago. Nothing has been since. Does that mean that nothing new will be? No. But people were living just fine before this discovery. Soylent is not set in stone and as new information is discovered, it will be evaluated and inserted into the recipe. We are on the same side, believe it or not, trying to improve our diets. Not at the expense of people but for the benefit of people.