ID Life - Logan Stout Interview

idlife
mlm
multi-level-marketing
ID Life - Logan Stout Interview

Oh man. It’s just painful watching an MLM guy preach about entrepreneurship and “helping people”.

Ten 45g snack protein bars (10g protein each) for $35?

For that kind of money it better come with third party lab tests and do the dishes.

Is this guy serious?

A supplement called “LEAN” whose first ingredient is a glucogenic amino acid with basically no benefits. That’s just sad.

That’s a rough ingredient panel. 50mg of TMG? After seeing that label, I’d never even consider anything that company makes. That’s really off putting.

What a joke. I wouldn’t be able to keep a straight face if I had to sit there and listen to him. Such an awful product my god. This may have to go on the SR “Buyer Beware” list we are working on.

I think I just came up with an amazing idea for the LA Fit Expo. I’m going to go to a couple of these MLM style companies and “interview” them in regards to their formulations, while playing dumb for a bit. Then the more they try to sell me on their “amazing product” I treat it apart and then we expose their scammy products on the YT channel.

Thoughts @Mike?

I think that’s a great idea… You would have to record those. Great content!! Love it.

I never say no to your great ideas! Especially when it’s you guys doing all the heavy lifting :man_factory_worker:

@Mike THANKS!!!

Gotta clear it with the bossman before trying any of these whacky tactics.

When in doubt, film tons of stuff and see what CJ comes home with.

But realize you’re also there to do positive promotional stuff!! It’s a balance/blend, and if anything we only review stuff we’re excited about. If we love everyone we love no one.

Gotta show the bad with the good, so your idea is fantastic.

Great idea. If you need any help with questions let me know.

I have a fair amount of experience in the MLM industry, so I am sorry if this answer gets a bit long-winded. Back in the 1990s, I sunk over a million dollars into launching an MLM company. On its face, MLM seemed like a great idea: What better way to get your products out there than to financially motivate people to talk about them?

The company experienced exponential growth during the first couple of years, but once we committed to no proprietary blends, no fillers, and full therapeutic dosages, the MLM disappeared. The higher cost of fully dosed supplements did not leave enough of a margin to support the financial burden of MLM. MLM requires multiple tiers of paying downline commissions that can go as far as 4, 5, or even more levels deep. On the top, you have a parent company that needs to be constantly fed an army of new recruits to pyramid sales upstream while paying hefty commissions back downstream. Commission payout is expensive, so brands often make up for it by cutting product quality and using fillers and proprietary blends to under-dose ingredients and dilute products. For the same reason, brands that focus on BOGOs to drive their business cannot afford the cost of higher-end, fully dosed supplements.

So how does MLM differ from a traditional model of paying commissions to a sales team? The answer lies in a question that the DOJ has been examining for decades: Does MLM actually entail selling products or selling opportunity? The pitfall of many MLM companies is that they build a marketing strategy where the opportunity of the downline distributor to profit rather than the consumers’ use of the product solely drives consumer purchases. With this strategy, product quality and efficacy are not important, so the product becomes no more than a cheap vehicle with which to drive opportunity. When corporate culture and strategy are built around paying end users to purchase products rather than use them, something eventually has to give. Product quality and efficacy are usually the first to go.

These days, many brands have incorporated affiliate programs into their marketing strategies. There is nothing wrong with this. It is a great way to reward influencers and their most faithful. It differs from MLM because the commission opportunity does not overshadow the products. "

This is such a great topic. We did a post on this as bit back where we broke down the ingredients of Isagenix PWO that retails for WAY too much but literally costs less than $1 to make. I’ll send you all the image to your Facebook page. Then, when you point it out, all their “reps” get fired up. The problem, outside of uneducated “reps” is that a lot of their products are actually detrimental to progress. Absolutely crazy to me people don’t seek out more honest information from places like yours and ours. Looking forward to this guys.

Awesome Mark!!!

Thanks a ton for posting that Mark!

To add to this, aside from the obvious underdosing and over-pricing to consumers, one thing nobody points out is the “talent swing” that occurs with these MLM’ers.

An MLM advocate talks about how they “create opportunities” for “entrepreneurs”. But in reality, I believe it’s the opposite. All they’re doing is taking potentially good business talent/energy and misdirecting it to a product that’s a societal net-negative.

Now, instead of having budding business owners working on solving actual problems – which a few of them may have been able to do – they’re now chasing this nonsense that affects the consumer more negatively than positively.

So not only are they not doing the good they could have been doing, they’re instead causing consumer ‘harm’.

I believe we need all the entrepreneurial-minded talent out there working on things that will move the needle forward for our society and nation. Not wasting time with MLM, developing pervy apps, or yet another T-Shirt company.