Eight Weeks of Intermittent Fasting (16/8) on Metabolism, Strength, Body Composition, Inflammation, and Cardiovascular Factors

I personally love the 16/8 fast - it gets my ketones up, I have huge focus and energy, waste less time cooking or dealing with food, and it actually stabilized my workouts during keto.

However, when I don’t track with MyFitnessPal, I turn into a trainwreck. Calories fall short, protein falls short, and I end up like a skeleton. Like, if my protein dips low for a day, I can tell. It’s a fine line I walk.

I know I can be successful with this timing, but I 100% need focus and tools to do it.

I’m also going to tinker with going too high on my protein, but using a GDA (glucose disposal agent) to get there.

1 Like

@mike when your doing your keto diet how much carbs have you in taking per day or non at all? Im thinking about mixing up my IF diet with a keto plan to Lean out and see how my insulin & metabolism react.

To transition in, I did best under 15 and protein at 140. Once in (1.0 ketones or higher), under 30g works for me.

I was just starting to tinker with pre workout carbs before life spun out of control.

My next stab will include GDAs with more protein and carbs when timed tight. I have a theory that I can get in more protein and let the GDA handle the ‘overspill’ into gluconeogenesis.

1 Like

That’s certainly an interesting theory. I look forward to seeing how that works for you! I was going to say I’d be concerned about taking a GDA without carbs as you’d drop your blood sugar too low, but if you’re already in ketosis, you shouldn’t have any trouble! Additionally, I thought I remembered some ingredients commonly found in GDAs can inhibit gluconeogenesis. Honestly, I forget which ones, but that could possibly be a nice side benefit.