Bodybuilding.com Lays off 90 Employees. See Both Sides Here

A most dramatic year for Bodybuilding.com is coming to a nasty end, as the Idaho-based Internet retailer just laid off 90 workers via email in a “pre-Christmas downsizing”, per the Idaho Statesman[1] and KTB7.[2] Bodybuilding.com issued the following statement: “Today Bodybuilding.com announced an organizational downsizing. The change is part of …
(Read More on the PricePlow Blog)
Bodybuilding.com Lays off 90 Employees. See Both Sides Here

Most of the time (post 2008) that is how layoffs work. The old style "we appreciate all you've done for us ..." meetings are pretty much a thing of the past. And being told to leave immediately is again very very common. It's for safety and security reasons. Even when you give notice that you are leaving a job for another job, it is not all that uncommon to be told to leave within a day or two of giving two weeks notice.

Thanks for the input Larry. Never been through a layoff, the last job I quit (to work on this full-time), I was given time to train the next guy but then they told me to peace out, and I don't blame them. Corporate espionage is also a risk and good reason to do it fast. But email?????

I got laid off (first and only as a digital marketing professional) with a text once... It's a weird and surprisingly gutless world out there.

Actually, I may need to call out my own hypocrisy for the record. I terminated my last contractor contract with an email. Maybe I went a bit too hard on Bodybuilding here

When I got laid off it was just another day, went home, knock on my door. A server from a local attorney serving me with my we're letting you go papers. Do not come within such and such feet of the office. So cold.

When I look at how convenient, helpful, and community-based that BodySpace was back in 2010/2011, and compare it with the boondoggle it has become, I'm not surprised they are dying.