Keto Supplements: Mike's Ketosis Supplement Experiment

Originally published at: https://blog.priceplow.com/keto-supplements

Keto Supplements like these are talk of the town – but will they really help keto dieters, and if so, how and when? The keto diet has been exploding in popularity, which meant that the supplement industry would soon follow. In this supplement experiment series, we find out if they’re… …(Read more on the PricePlow Blog)

The keto OS product label doesn't show the amino acid blend you guys talk about in the article. Is that an incomplete label? (I guess I could try googling it). Also, that label shows ascorbic acid in the ingredient list, yet somehow has 0% daily value of vitamin C. How does that work?

On a different note, I wouldn't trust the bpi product. There's no hint even at the amount of any minerals included in the BHB salts, which is important if someone is supplementing minerals. For example, if someone wants to take 1000mg of calcium daily, but obviously doesn't want to overdo, how would they know where keto aminos will fit into that? Not to mention their ridiculous amino blends. No clue what percent each amino actually makes up. Not to mention histidine tops the list, even ahead of leucine... not exactly top notch recovery in my opinion.

You gotta try Faktrition Keto Protein Complex especially in Chocolate flavor..

This should be interesting. Are you following a TKD or CKD approach with your diet? On the Keto Meal nutrition label it has an asterick with *A Good Source of Fiber at the very bottom, but it has >1g fiber in it. What's that about?

I was just starting to tinker with TKD before this series got interrupted due to having a baby. Now getting back in and may go back into tinkering with more carbs and ketones pre workout. My bigger issue with keto is the tightrope I walk with protein, so my goal is to get more protein in, but use a glucose disposal agent alongside to prevent any “overspill”. We’ll see!

Consider having fiber with the protein, should slow down the glucose spike.

Also have you looked at your cholesterol levels at all during this?

That’s going to be part of the experiment next round

Unfortunately no, and just as I was getting dialed in, the kid came and I am a trainwreck for the moment.

I will tell you that my cholesterol was very low when I had it checked a year ago on a standard diet - like 2 points away from being below normal range - so I definitely hope it’s gone up. Too important for hormones!

With a true keto diet, you are eating a good amount of fats which slow down the absorption of glucose into your bloodstream which will help prevent insulin spikes.

As you know Mike, I have a big problem with the way keto supplements are advertised. They are falsely advertised and misleading. No supplement will put you into ketosis instantly, cant be done. You know as well as I do, you need 72 hours minimum to get into a real ketosis state and that’s eating no carbs for that time. Sure, taking these keto supplements will show ketones in your blood since you are drinking them but you are not in ketosis.
These should be marketed as an energy source and fuel for people who are on ketosis and keep the carbs to zero or very minimal. They can help replace carbs for an energy source once you are in a ketosis state.

This becomes a semantic argument. If you mean to say “fat adapted”, I think you’re right. But the more textbook definition of ketosis is, “has over 0.5mmol of ketones in the bloodstream”, at which point the BHB supplements do in fact do that!

I do believe that non-fat-adapted people who have no carbs in them can use exogenous ketones for energy – it’s just that fat adapted people are far more efficient at using them.

So yeah I agree and disagree both.

What [quote=“Mike, post:7, topic:285”]
I will tell you that my cholesterol was very low when I had it checked a year ago on a standard diet - like 2 points away from being below normal range
[/quote]

Could you define the normal range?